Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Longest Journey Ive Been On

The longest journey or trip that I have ever been in was a "vacation" to Florida in the summer of 2008.
Months before, my step-mom and my dad had the plan to go to visit my grandparents and my brother Cory. We get to see them once every few years, and I hadnt seen my brother since I was 10 or 11. So naturally, I wanted to go. However, I was only going to go if we could go to the beach, if it was sunny, and if we got to see Cory for more than one day. Because of this trip, I was going to miss the first week of my senior year. So it was important to me that I got to see my brother and meet his new girlfriend, Melissa.
The compromise was made, and we set out on August 17th, 2008 and we wouldnt return until the 22nd. I was looking forward to seeing this part of my family, and wasnt so young that I couldnt carry on a conversation with my grandparents. It was nice being older and able to talk about real things with them.
Naturally, the flights were long. 2 stops, time changes, lay overs, bad food, the whole deal. That was expected. What I wasnt expecting was when I stepped out of the last flight, it was overcast. It was going to rain. I was secretly upset. My aunt Eve and Grandma Ruth came to pick us up. Judy and I were relieved because usually my grandpa was the one that came and picked us up, and, god love him, hes not a great driver. Judy and I get bad motion sickness, so when he drives, it can get pretty bad.
We get to their house, and I was really tired because I cant sleep on planes. I go take a nap, wake up and everyone is out watching the Olympics. Little did I know, it was going to occupy mine and my dad's time more than anything else.
Later on that night, everyone was tired, and wanted to go to bed, and of course, i wasnt tired. I was still on California time, I stay up late anyway, and hadnt done anything to make me tired. I go back to the room, and start talking to Nick on the phone. It was relieving to hear his voice, but it almost seemed as time went on, that the house was getting warmer and warmer. After about an hour, it was miserable! My dad was up and down all night, and it took me a while to put it together. We were ALL dying. He went out to the living room, and tried to sleep on the couch. Before he layed down, he checked the thermostat, and it was 85! On top of the humidity. Later on in the night, my dad had told me that he turned the air up to 80. Not a big difference right? My dad told me that my grandma came out of the room with a blanket on, and turned the heat back up. There was no way we were going to last like this for another 4 days.
I woke up at 12 the next afternoon, and of course, I felt ridiculous because I dont like sleeping in that late at other people's houses. It just makes me feel rude, so I get up, and make myself a sandwich. My dad, Judy, and I all lived off of turkey sandwiches for 4 days.

1 comment:

Mrs. Baldwin said...

OMG!!! You crack me up!